Last modified on:
Hello! I am Parth Shimpi, a PhD student in mathematics and a member of Core Structures @ Glasgow which encompasses researchers at the University of Glasgow working on Algebra, Analysis, Number theory, and Geometry & Topology. You can read more about me here.
I work with Michael Wemyss and the Enhancing RNG Group, studying algebraic geometry and its interactions with representation theory and homological algebra. Specifically, I think about Artin groups acting on stability manifolds.This year, I am a co-organiser of the Glasgow Algebra Pre-seminar.
The articles below are largely expository.
- "Invitation to Deformation Theory", with J Malbon and D Z Zieba ('23). [PDF]
- "Derived equivalences in algebra and geometry", supervised by I Grojnowski, Part III essay, University of Cambridge ('22). [PDF]
- "Introduction to Model Theory", supervised by G Wilsenach, Summer project summary, University of Cambridge ('19). [PDF]
- "What does the A2 singularity have in common with an octopus?🐙", Hodge Club Seminar.
[oct 6, '23]
- "Quivers and stability", ahead of Edmund Heng: "Fusion categories and quantum symmetries", Glasgow Algebra Pre-Seminar.
[sep 25, '23]
- "What do coxeter groups know about homological algebra?", the 61st ARTIN meet.
[sep 12, '23]
- "Bondal and Orlov's reconstruction of a variety from its derived category", Wee Math Seminar.
[jul 28, '23]
- "Coherent sheaves on the Riemann Sphere", Wee Math Seminar.
[jun 9, '23]
- "Singularities of the minimal model program", Wee Math Seminar.
[apr 28, '23]
- "Representation theory of finite dimensional algebras", ahead of Isambard Goodbody: "Finite dimensional DGAs", Glasgow Algebra Pre-Seminar.
[apr 26, '23]
- "Associated points and other properties of schemes", Eisenboaties.
[apr 14, '23]
- "Log Calabi-Yau and cluster varieties", ahead of Tim Magee: "Grassmannians, plabic graphs, and mirror symmetry for cluster varieties", Glasgow Algebra Pre-Seminar.
[mar 22, '23]
- "Quiver moduli and geometric invariant theory", Wee Math Seminar.
[mar 3, '23]
- "This pure mathematician forgot how to add. You won't believe what happened next!", Glasgow PG Seminar.
[mar 10, '23]
- "Moduli spaces, G-clusters, and the McKay correspondence", ahead of Ryo Yamagishi: "McKay Correspondence and the Moduli of G-Constellations", Glasgow Algebra Pre-Seminar.
[feb 1, '23]
- What is a deformation? GLaMS Examples Showcase.
[dec 9, '22]
- The module extension problem, Part III Seminar.
[mar 18, '22]
- The functor of points, Part III Seminar.
[dec 2, '21]
- Quasisymmetric functions in geometry, CSRIM Seminar.
[slides] [oct 12, '21]
- Between arbitrarily large and infinite, The Archimedeans.
[video] [apr 10, '20]
Past and upcoming conferences and academic workshops .
- Mini-workshop 2405a: Artin groups meet triangulated categories, Oberwolfach.
[jan 28--feb 2, '24]
- UKAGNetwork winter school, Warwick.
[dec 12--15, '23]
- GLEN workshop on stability conditions, Liverpool.
[sep 21--22, '23]
- Bridgeland stability spaces and complex function theory, Liverpool.
[sep 19--21, '23]
- Summer school on higher structures in algebra and geometry, Nordfjordeid.
[aug 13--18, '23][photo]
- Derived categories, moduli spaces, and counting invariants, London.
[jul 3--7, '23]
- Derived categories, Hodge theory, and singularities, Sheffield.
[jun 28--30, '23]
- Computational algebraic geometry workshop, Warwick.
[mar 27--31, '23][photo]
- Winter school on geometry, algebra and combinatorics of moduli spaces and configurations V, Dobbiaco (Toblach).
[feb 20--24, '23]
- Quivers, clusters, moduli and stability, Oxford.
[jan 9--13, '23][photo]
- Workshop on singularities and mirror symmetry, Glasgow.
[dec 5--7, 2022]
- Tutor, University of Glasgow: 2A Multivariable calculus ('23), 2B Linear algebra ('23), 2P Graph theory ('23), 2T Discrete Mathematics ('22), 2E Mechanics ('22).
- Mentor, STEP Support Programme ('19, '20, '21).
- Tutor, Sutton Trust Summer School: Combinatorics ('19).
- Teacher, Fravashi International Academy: A level Pure mathematics ('19), A level Statistics ('19).
I have previously provided personal tuition to highschool students for STEP and similar exams, and am open to taking new students.
Course notes. I did Part III in 2022, doing courses on algebra and geometry. The lecture notes for these can be found here. Alejandro Epelde Blanco took many of the same courses and maintains his notes here. David Bai's typed notes can be found here.
In 2023 I attended a lecture course on Riemann surfaces, the notes for which can be found here.
RunMyDFA. An online wysiwyg editor for finite automata/Markov chain diagrams that can simulate deterministic finite automata and generate TikZ code.
TeX template. I maintain a template for LaTeX documents with essential imports and helpful macros for algebraic geometers. There's also a TeX-specific
.gitignore file included! To set up a new project, run the script below in a command line.
curl -L -O https://github.com/thecatbus/tex-template/archive/main.zip && unzip main.zip && rm main.zip
parth.shimpi ‹at› glasgow.ac.uk